Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Historic Day - And I Experienced It!





January 20th, 2009 was an iconic, memorable day for millions of Americans, and I was one of the lucky few to experience it, up close and personal. An itinerary of my day: 

  • 1:26 am – Departure – Harrisburg was entirely empty and quiet.
  • 3:24 am – Park & Ride – I approached Grosvenor Metro parking lot earlier than opening, and people had already parked and were waiting to board the metro.
  • 4:09 am – All Aboard! – After passing the time chatting with a few parade volunteers, the first train of the day approached, and we didn’t just board it, we filled it. On board I met two very friendly ladies, one a middle-aged teacher from Pittsburgh who was sharing the inauguration with 50 of her students, another a young, beautiful, intelligent black woman who discussed the hurt associated with the Eagles’ playoff loss.
  • 4:37 am – Shortcut – I hopped off the Red Line at DuPont Circle and walked south to my friend’s apartment. While walking, I noticed that the security increased as I walked and time elapsed; one National Guard soldier every other block gave way to blockades and snipers as I drew closer to the National Mall. Not even 5 am, I was stupefied by the amount of people walking the streets, bursting with energy, song, praise, and even dance. I soon joined in and yelled, “This is so surreal!”
  • 5:01 am – A Bit of Warmth – I met my friend John and perused my Inaugural Packet provided by his boss and my former Congressman Paul Kanjorski as John readied himself; we quickly walked to the nearest Metro station.
  • 5:30 am – Capitol South – John and I exited at the Capitol South at the perfect time and far ahead of schedule, so we sat down for a quick breakfast and coffee.
  • 7:10 am – Rendezvous – Once we met all John’s friends, we made our way to the Blue Ticket Area.
  • 7:36 am – The Line – I will attach a picture of “The Line” that was formed to enter the blue ticket area. It swirled like marshmallow and caramel in an ice cream amalgamation that wrapped around 2 blocks long, and equally as cold. While waiting in “The Line,” I met some very compelling individuals. Two ladies behind us were professed Pittsburgh Steelers fans. One man to our right began an ominous chant, dividing “The Line” into three sections, each obligated to “Oh! Bah! Ma!” Another man near me was Steve Glassman, Chairman of the PA Human Relations Commission, and a very affable man who was most cheerful of any one in “The Line.”
  • 10:46 am – Clear! – Yes, 3+ hours later, we finally made it to our designated area. Still, every one was in high spirits.
  • 11:36 am – No Respect – When Pres. Bush appeared on the Capitol stage, the crowd booed and soon followed with, “Nahna nahna nahna, hey hey hey, goodbye.” This was the most only sour event of the day.
  • 11:44 am – Timing – Just when the Ceremony Speaker announced “and now, President-Elect Barack Obama,” a swarm of sparrows flew from the sky right behind the camera, capturing a moment television viewers would never see.
  • 11:57 am – VP – Joe Biden, with a beckoning voice, swears in as Vice President.
  • 12:05 pm – Gametime – Barack Obama, despite a fumble between he and Chief Justice Roberts, swears in with a gravity and somberness I had yet to hear. He soon follows the jitters with a resounding speech that echoed throughout the city, and likewise, the applause and cheers thundered as the Americans behind us on the lawn and scattered throughout the streets followed in their cheers and applause.
  • 12:31 pm – After 11 hours, the historical event was complete. While exiting we separated ways. I again began talking to members of the exhilarated audience, and observe, with a smile on my face, as strangers high-five, smile at one another, and join in Gospel hymn. One man grabbed me by the shoulders and said, “Congratulations man – lots of history was made today.” I turned and laughed. It was surreal that I was fortunate enough to experience it.

No comments: