Saturday, July 02, 2011

Day 14 - Travels to the States

Day 14
July 3rd
Weather - varying across 7 different time zones
Plans - A full 24 hour day, beginning at 4a in Istanbul and ending at 9p EST in New York (4a Istanbul time)... Flights from Ankara to Istanbul and Istanbul to NYC; train ride from NYC back to Harrisburg; crashing on my own bed.


The Dismissal

Each day as I've been blogging, I've been listening to music. As I began today's post (albeit a day early), the song "No Surprise" from Daughtry (music video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyl24HRGgSU) began playing, and it has a great place in today's post. The chorus is, in case you haven't heard it:

There's no surprise I won't be here tomorrow
I can't believe that I stayed 'til today

And you and I will be a tough act to follow

But I know in time we'll find this was no surprise

It's no question that, come tomorrow morning at 5:15am, I'll be out of this great hotel here in Ankara, and, by 9:30a I'll be on my way out of the country of Turkey.

I really can't believe that I stayed 'til today. For what it's worth, I can't believe I was fortunate enough to go on a trip here in the first place 14 days ago.

Turkey and me will be a tough act to follow, no doubt about that. I've become so much more cultured as a person, as a teacher, and as an American. I'm proud of the experience I had, and I'll find as time progresses, that will be absolutely "no surprise."

I'd stay a lot longer in this wonderful, growing, progressing, diverse, and culturally rich country, but there's someone special back home I can't wait to see again...

Devin


Maybe one day I'll see you again, too, Turkiye!

No comments: